Metro, Rev reserves tie again, 1:1
September 25, 2005 (Official Game Summary)

New England MetroStars
Smith Stammler
09.25.05 · Reserve

The New England Revolution Reserves and MetroStars Reserves played to a 1-1 draw on Sunday morning at Wrentham State School. MetroStars defender Seth Strammler gave the visitors a 1-0 lead in the 57th minute with a shot to the top right corner. The Revs evened the score in the 87th minute when forward Khano Smith took a pass from midfielder Gilbert Flores and beat Metros goalkeeper Zach Wells.

In the 38th minute, Revs defender Jeff Larentowitcz was unable to connect on a shot at the far post off of a flick-on header by midfielder Ricardo Phillips after an Andy Dorman corner kick. Seconds later, on a MetroStars counterattack, Edozien failed to effectively clear the ball. MetroStars' Sergio Galven Ray picked up the loose ball and with open space available, rushed a shot from 35 yards out wide to the left of the goal frame.

In the 42nd minute, Phillips carried through the center channel to the right flank and crossed for Smith. The Revs forward took the ball down, held it, and then played it back to Phillips. The Panama international took a step in before shooting on goal. It appeared as if Phillips had beaten Wells to give the Revs the lead, but the MetroStars goalkeeper Wells scrambled back, dove, and grabbed the ball at the goal line.

Three minutes later, Phillips and Smith again almost connected to put New England on the scoreboard. Phillips passed to Smith who held the ball at the top right corner of the penalty box before laying the ball off back to Phillips. His shot went over the top right post and the two clubs went into halftime scoreless.

The MetroStars came out attacking in the second half and it paid off in the 57th minute when they took a 1-0 lead. From the top of the box at the left-center channel, Metros substitute Seth Stammler beautifully struck a shot to the upper left corner that left Revolution goalkeeper Doug Warren with no chance at making a save.

In the 76th minute, Flores dribbled around Wells in the Metros' penalty area and had a wide-open net but opted to play the ball back to Edozien and the play was broken up.

The Revs finally broke through in the 87th minute when Flores sent a through ball in for Smith who fought off his marker and carried the ball in. His shot to the left side beat Wells, and evened the score.

Deep into stoppage time, the MetroStars came close to stealing the game on a header by Galvan Ray, but Warren tipped the shot over the crossbar. A couple of seconds later, the final whistle blew, ending the match at 1-1.

•  News Archive
•  Rumor Mill
•  Weekly Awards
•  Season Ratings
•  Last Game Ratings

•  History Overview
•  All-Time Roster
•  All-Time Results
•  All-Time Stats
•  Team Records
•  Hall of Fame
•  All-Time XI
•  Numeric Roster
•  International Roster
•  Coaching History
•  Captain History
•  Draft History
•  Trophy Case
•  Transfer Records
•  Frivolities
•  Honors History
•  Award History
•  Ratings History

Home · Team · News · History · Boards · Stuff · About